Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Weekend in Yungas - Coroico

This past weekend, I went to Yungas - Coroico (the 'tropics').  I left Friday after the hospital and caught a bus (3 hours) to Yungas - Coroico.  I spent two nights there and did lots of hiking.  Enjoy my pics below.

My $15B (a little over $2 USD) bus ride to Coroico...got the fold down seat...very uncomfortable :(

View from my room at Hotel Esmeralda.

View from Hotel Esmeralda (my room) in the morning at 6:30 am.

At lunch on Saturday at Back-Stube Konditorei.  From left, Spencer, me, Lukas, Jodi and Nena.
Our 'map' to the Cascades (waterfalls) for the day - was painted on a wall near Hotel Esmeralda, so I took a pic just in case we needed it...let's just say we got lost the first 5 min we started our hike (with the help of our 'map')

View on our hike to the Cascades.

We see our first waterfall after 2 hours of hiking!  Yay!
But when we got to the waterfall...it was dammed off!!!  You let me down Lonely Planet - Bolivia v. 2010.
On to the next cascade (there should be 3 according to Lonely Planet and our 'map')...but about 500 feet later we came to a wall .. so that was the end of our hike...secretly, I was excited!  Hiking is not my thing, but the views were awesome, so I couldn't pass it up.
Fighting daylight to make it back to town.

our single file line hiking (that's how wide the trail was)...and this part of the trail was jungle like or as jodi would say 'jungle nar nar'

a little break on the front lawn of the church before our final descent to the plaza.

fondue for dinner!  that's the damage that becky and I did to the chocolate dessert fondue!
Sunday - more hiking, this time we decided to hire a guide!  Cost us less than $8 USD each!  Sunday's hike was to Río Negro.

Hiking through the shrubs...wore shorts...it hurt!  From the left, our guide (Augustine), Lukas, Becky and Jodi.

The hills were steep and slippery!  From left, Sarah, Nena, and Spenser.

Made it to the waterfall at Río Negro!!!  They really do exist!!!  Water was super cold...did not go in.  (But brave Sarah and Lukas did!)

Me :)

Back to La Paz ... View from our minibus home!!!

2 comments:

  1. Becca, me encantan tus fotos. Se ve que estas disfrutando mucho tu viaje! Cuidate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, lonely planet fail.
    :( it looks amazing but you are failing me with the cholita outfit

    ReplyDelete